Several years ago I spoke to Rita Hogan about developing a suncare product for dogs that would be safe, effective and all natural. I am so pleased that she published this recipe in Dogs Naturally Magazine as a wonderful DIY solution for pups that have very short hair or are all white in color, like our failed foster pup, Pooka.
Natural SPF For Dogs
“Carrot Seed Oil: Carrot seed oil has an average SPF of 35. Note: I’m not referring to carrot seed essential oil – don’t use this. Make sure you buy a cold-pressed carrot seed oil made from carrot seeds.
Red Raspberry Seed Oil: Yes, another reason to love raspberries. This oil has a broad spectrum SPF of 20. Mix raspberry seed oil with other oils like shea, olive, coconut or tamanu.
Here is a wonderful recipe for a homemade sunscreen made with oils of varying SPF levels.
Homemade Sunscreen Recipe
- 1 oz Unrefined Coconut Oil
- ½ oz Shea Butter
- 1 oz Olive Oil
- ¼ oz Red Raspberry Seed Oil
- ¼ oz cold pressed Carrot Seed Oil (not the essential oil)
- 2 drops Lavender or Roman Chamomile essential oil
- Combine oils in a slow cooker. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add essential oils and stir for 2 minutes. Cover and let cool.
- Pour into a squeezable container.
- Before use, test for sensitivity on a small area on yourself and your dog before applying the oil to a larger area.
And remember …
- Organic, cold pressed, unrefined oils are best.
- Oil quality can affect SPF values so be diligent when purchasing your ingredients.
- Always use companies that can confirm sourcing information.
All natural sunscreens are great. However, the most effective sunscreen method is common sense. Be safe and know when to call it a day and head indoors. This method minimizes sun exposure and allows you to safely enjoy your favorite outdoor activities with your best friend.” RH, The Canine Herbalist